"Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship."

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Oprah

This last week the Oprah Winfrey show aired it's last 3 shows to commence 25 years on television. I wasn't able to watch any but the final show but was glad I did! She did an awesome job.

I love Oprah. She is a major example to me and one of the most inspiring people that has lived in this modern day. She has been called the most influential woman of the 20th Century. I haven't always liked her, however. I grew up with my mom watching her and hearing things about her, but didn't really know anything for myself. In my last year of nursing school, I was able to take an African American Studies class as an elective to complete my Bachelors Degree. Because I traveled to Africa (partially inspired by an Oprah show) and have always had a love for other cultures including the African American people I decided to take this class and learn all I could. To my surprise it was a pretty intense class, but I learned so much about the slave life, and other black icons! As one of our last projects we were to choose an African American person to write about and give a presentation on. I chose Oprah because I wanted to know more about her as a person and her life.




I have never been so amazed at a leader in our society more than Oprah. I know some people don't like her, and if you're one of them it's probably because you have not read, studied and really learned about her accomplishments and acts of service, amazingly selfless, loving things that she has done for many people in the world. What a remarkable example. I have a quote for my life that comes from Moroni 7:13...that states that "wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God." I use this quote as my tool to know when something is good/positive or bad/negative. From what I've seen and what I know about Oprah, she has given millions of dollars to help others, build schools, donate to charities, and has given her life to teaching about the goodness in the world. She teaches about service and love, how to be your true self and follow your heart, and on her last show paid her last tribute to God and how she owes everything to Him. It was awesome to hear her testify because she has tried not to do that very often due to a number of things. She has never missed a day at work in 25 years and has been completely dedicated and transformed into an amazing person. I hope she continues to lead and influence. Good Luck Oprah!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment